Today is a big day for us. We are headed to Straits State Harbor in Mackinaw City and we were there last September. This means that we have completed the Loop when we get to Mackinaw City because we will cross our wake.
It is hard to believe that we have traveled over 5600 miles and we have finished the Loop. We have met so many great people along the way and that is really a great portion of the Loop experience. This also was a completely unique way to see America that just cannot be duplicated in a car.
As some of you know, we are going to do the Loop again. When we leave Straits State Harbor we are heading into Lake Michigan and we will end up in Muskegon around the middle of August. We are going to leave the boat for a month to get some work done. We will drive home and visit with all of our doctors before returning to the boat in the middle of September. We will then head for Florida again.
We have family and friends to see in the 4 weeks at home and I am sure the time will fly by. It will probably be restful to get back to the boat and head south.
Today the sky was cloudy but the wind was light out of the southwest. As we departed Detour there was a freighter heading south in the channel. We got to Lake Huron and headed west toward Mackinaw and so did the freighter. I had never given it a lot of thought but just thought all the freighters from Lake Superior went south to Detroit, Cleveland or along the St Lawrence Seaway.
The light wind had a chop of about 1′ on the water and that eventually went down to almost nothing. The ferry traffic was busy around Mackinaw Island as we went by and the wakes we crossed again reminded me why we do not stop at the Island.
We were in Straits Harbor around 1:00 and the sun came out for us. Straits Harbor was pretty empty with hardly any boats here. I think I counted 15 boats in the harbor. There were more in Detour Harbor this morning when we left.
The dock attendant at the fuel dock remembered us from last September and that was kind of neat. I think she remembered Candy more than Lenore and I.
We will be here for 2 nights and then move to Petoskey if the weather is good. The cool days with the threat of rain and thunderstorms could pose a problem but we will wait and see.